How Often Should You Clean Gutters?
Clean gutters at least once a year — twice a year if you have overhanging trees. Also, clean clogged gutters after big storms. Clogs often occur where downspouts join the gutter system — check these areas closely.
How to Clean Gutters
- Wear a shirt with long sleeves. Wear rubber gloves.
- Have a good extendable ladder available. Standoff stabilizers (ladder “horns”) are ideal to keep the ladder from damaging the gutter.
- Use a small plastic scoop to remove gunk. Buy a gutter scoop from the hardware store ($25) or try a child’s sand shovel.
- Spare your lawn by dumping the stuff onto a plastic tarp.
- After you’ve cleared the muck, flush the gutters and downspouts with a garden hose — also a great way to spot any leaks.
If climbing ladders is not your cup of tea, you can hire someone to do the job for you for $50-$250, depending on the size and height of your house.
Courtesy of © Copyright 2019 NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®